Thursday, September 17, 2009

More from the home front

.


Thought I would follow up Ben's last post with some more pictures. The house is not really a house at all at the moment with no ceilings or roof, and to the untrained eye it might look as though not much is getting done......but this my friend is not the case! This has been a seriously serious work week at the house, getting the final things done in anticipation of the contractors showing up early Monday morning. Almost.....almost......almost all of the wreckage is out of the house, finally! We are going to need one more dumpster (making 7 in total) and that will be it for a while.

Just a quick run down of what has been done since the last update
1. The roof has been taken off with the help of my Dad, Max, and Max's step Dad Rick.
2. the remaining barn boards, and plaster and lath have been removed
3. The yard has been cleaned up of roof debris
4. The old tv antenna has been taken down
5. The hard wood floor has been torn up from the living room....which by the way revealed a beautiful, untouched, wide plank hard wood floor....hello!
6. Windows have been bought for most of the house...will explain in a minute
7. The chimney has been partially removed
8. The kitchen design has been agreed upon....god help me, finally!
9. The main floor studs have been reinforced with shiny new studs and plates
10. The floor on the main floor has been leveled from the basement.......almost, just another tweak or two

Wow, I am tired just writing that list, never mind doing all of that! We are on schedule so far so that is good!


Okay, the windows.....I am beyond excited! A couple weekends ago, on my way back from picking Liv up from my parents I hit a garage sale. I got 4 vinyl windows (the kind with the lines through them) approx 38x50, 1 HUGE window for the kitchen approx 38x115, a claw foot tub including all the hardware, the 1920's cast iron sink to match, and an antique spindle bed all for.............$600! What a deal! The kitchen window alone I am told would have run us close to $600. I was so pleased, and I get to have the claw foot tub I wanted for our new bathroom!

That's it for now......cross your fingers for dry weather for another week or so!

P.S. If anyone has any tips for getting the little nails out of the wood floor let me know. They have like little teeth on them, so they are tricky. Ben says it will take me forever and we should just put a floor over the top, but I am determined to try. Any tricks would certainly help me prove him wrong......ummmm I mean.......get the nails out of the floor so I can refinish it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers